Pages

Friday, July 4, 2014

A Post a Day July 2014 Number Four

Three Facebook pages on writing, a post a day on each for the month of July, combined and posted here as well.

Small Stone, July 2014 Fourth

Slept well, though short hours. Beautiful 4th of July in the mountains of Virginia. Coffee in hand. Contented stone.


July Writing Project - A Poem a Day - Day Four

Morning at Little Beaver Creek

Red hibiscus blooms emerge
Unfurling above the chicory
Where hill and yard converge

Summers breezes toss about
Tulip poplar leaves so broad
While pudgy kittens play scout

They search for insect to stalk
Perhaps a flitting butterfly
Though they are prey of hawk

Ripples in the mountain stream
Where crawdads dance while 
Salamander and minnows teem





Fourth Noticing July 2014


As this is the day my country of birth celebrates her birthday, so to speak, and as the pupose of this wonderful group is mindful noticings, I find myself contemplating recent events regarding immigration and deportation. How desperate one must be to release the life and welfare of their child to the unknown. How people will scream and shout and spew hatred at children and youth who only look for opportunity and acceptance. When I travel to town today, and see the milling throng of celebrators, waving flags and over-indulging on hot dogs and watermelon, I fear I shall not be as proud of this land as I would have been on previous Independence Days. And that, my friends, saddens me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment