Pages

Monday, October 31, 2016

31 days to a kinder me. Day 31.


Well, today is the day. Day 31 of 31 days to a kinder me. The Dalai Lama sums up the truth of this quest so well. It is always possible to be kind. I notice he did not say easy, because - it isn't. It should be, I suppose, in a Utopian existence where the temperature is always 74f, the rains are always gentle and warm, the perfume of exotic blooms infuse the air with natural aromatherapy, and laughter and rest are the rule of the day.

That isn't life, though.

Life is tough. Painful. Tiring. All my best intentions evaporate like the briefest of showers on the hottest of days the instant I interact with someone who's had their Cornflakes pissed upon and decide it must have been my fault. 

I saw a meme the other day of little known punctuation marks and one of them was the 'snark mark' - {.~}. The thought crossed my mind then decided to stay awhile that I would use such a mark more than a little bit were it one keystroke on my laptop. Because snark, or sarcasm, is my natural reaction in interacting with most people. Thus my foray into the world of kindness this month. 

I am not by nature patient, kind, long suffering, forgiving - I do not innately possess any graces. When I pause in thoughtful contemplation while interacting with someone, chances are pretty good I am trying to decide on the least offensive way to say what I really, really want to say. I will give myself credit for most of the time dissuading the inner snark and smite from gushing forth. However, I am all too aware of the urges that are not edifying of humankind that roil about in my mind. 

We need a kinder world. We have a world at crisis, socially and environmentally. More than a small amount of Tender Loving Care is desperately needed - and sooner rather than later. Because here and now and this and us is all we have. 

So I entreat any reading this, even as I urge myself, to follow the simply profound words of the Dalai Lama and be kind whenever possible. It is always possible



No comments:

Post a Comment