Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2016

31 days to a kinder me. Day 23.




Dwelling on - obsessing over - being unable to move forward - it is easy to play armchair quarterback and say things like, "Oh, get over that already." or "In the grand scheme of things things could be a lot worse." or "I don't see what the big deal is anyway."

Yes, I agree that negative attitudes are not easy. Absolutely no arguement from me on that point. But we are all a complicated emotional stew of a wide range of emotions and experiences. There are no one-size-fits-all answers to navigating our way through life. Even our assessment of situations that we honestly think is impartial is influenced by everything we have experienced. 

I think (obsess?) a great deal about this particular subject. I mean, we all have 'those' people that are so difficult to spend very much time in the presence of because they are so, so negative. Downright depressing, truth be told.

But

What if

What if

What if

I am that "Debbie Downer" in someone else's life? What if people groan inwardly when they see me coming? What if others dread certain subjects being broached when I am in the conversation because, oh no now she will never shut up?

Perhaps being a kinder me is partly about realizing that my parents were right, that the world does not revolve around me. Perhaps I need to work harder at active listening and practice less oversharing. 

Maybe, just maybe, the affirming life I want to live really is all up to me. 

hmmmm ...... 









No comments:

Post a Comment