Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 24

Today marks day 24 of the blog challenge, but I will not make a post a day because I did not post the day that we observed the protest over SOPA. That is okay with me though, because I felt it was an important issue that needed attention. 

The challenge has been interesting, and I do intend to continue to post more than I did previously. Perhaps I can participate the next round, and do better?

Today I want to talk about spirituality a little bit. My spirituality, my beliefs. What it is that keeps me going from day to day. I am not sure there is a name for the cobbled together set of concepts I strive to maintain. So here they are, not in order of importance:


  • I believe that each human has inherent value and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect unless they have shown they do not do the same to others through their actions and choices.
  • I believe we have a sacred responsibility to be careful and thoughtful stewards of our mother earth and her resources.
  • I believe my actions are my responsibility and your actions are your responsibility but all actions have widespread ramifications so we need to be cautious and not rash in our lives. 
  • I believe that how we treat others should not be influenced by our perception of what we think they can do to benefit us materially.
  • I believe that there is a connection to all of nature in each of us, and that what I do or neglect to do has results, every day.
  • I acknowledge that there is a balance to our existence, good and evil, light and dark, life and death. 


This is just scratching the surface, and I feel it may sound simple. I do believe in a higher power, and think it is perceived in different ways by different people. 

I do not believe in forcing my beliefs on others, or condemning anyone because they do not believe exactly as I do. That being said, I do not agree with using any belief system as an excuse or reason to act in harmful ways towards others, in word or deed. 

I will close with a favorite quote: 
There are no unsacred places. There are only sacred places and desecrated places.- Wendell Berry

www.NaBloPoMo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment