Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

NaBloPoMo For February? Pffftttttttt

Ironic, in a way, that the theme for February is "Relative" because the immediate attention to family has necessitated in my admitting defeat in the challenge.


In Song of Solomon in the Old Testament of the Christian Bible, there is a verse that says: The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in the land


This quote came to mind today while I was reading the Monday post in one of my favorite blogs. Hope is so essential to us in life. I have been in a very deep despair as of late, and there are days when the struggle is almost too much for me to bear without weeping. There are myriad causes, and that is not what I want to address. What I want to address is our ability to emerge from the despair. Because we do - I do. We can - I can. 


I am aware there are people who can't, who don't. I am aware that there are people who can and do only after using medications. Nothing wrong with that. I know that other things can lift that grey from our spirit. Prayer, meditation, changes in finances, loss or additions to our families and friends. Many things can be the catalyst. 


Who and what we are that sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom is spirit. The capacity to experience emotion, our propensity to become obsessed with some feelings, mired in others. Our reaching and searching for answers and experiences that validate our existence. 


I am ready to feel good again. I am wanting big gulping breaths of fresh air, long soothing sips of iced tea and easy happy chats with people I really like being around. Yet there is more. I want to know I matter, that I make a positive impact on someone's life. I do not think I am alone in these desires, I think they are what drive many of us. We do not want to have has our time on this plane of existence to have been in vain. We want to know that we gave, did something of value and merit. We want to be able to look back as the months and years melt one into another and say, This was a good life, well-lived.


It is easy to spout cliches and platitudes. We all use them. But there is a great deal of truth in some of them. 




To be continued ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment